“It’s alive! It’s alive”! Halloween is almost here, and when thinking how to bring content to life so it resonates with buyers, I am reminded of these famous words shouted by Dr. Frankenstein upon seeing his creation jerk to life with sparks flying.
Audiences were both delighted and horrified by Frankenstein’s monster; his dead robotic semblance coupled with the rays of humanity that humanized is rough exterior introduced a complexity moviegoers were not entirely used to.
When writing for Google bots, content is very dead in the sense it may spark some life with minimal organic growth BUT to really bring it to life in a relatable way content marketers need to write for people first and foremost. Ultimately, this means that roughly 80% of your content should be focused on your buyers and the other 20% sauced up for Google bots. What does that look like? This:
Keywords Still Matter (Psst they Always Will)
Using Frankenstein’s monster as inspiration for a life-giving keywords strategy is an appropriate one. There is a big song and dance in our industry made by some who say keywords don’t matter; they are dead like the corpse Frankenstein later brought to life. This is total crap. Keywords not only matter, they frame the focus of your content. In order to write primarily for people while giving a minimal love tap to Google bots, it is important to toss in a few exact match and high-search volume keywords while focusing organic ranking strategies around longtail keywords more in line with buyer pains that reflect mid-range and “low-hanging fruit keywords”. This will appease the bots in the sense that you are showing relevance to these big keywords without wasting your time by trying to directly rank for them AND you are ranking content that is buyer specific by using keywords that reflect pains and needs. This method will combine a cohesive strategy that will jolt life into your content and see it teeming with life while it delights readers and stimulates Google’s bots.
Pillar Cluster Models Make Your Content Alive!
Google bots favor structured content because it makes crawlability seamless. Content clusters are ideal for resonating with the emotional intentions behind buyer search queries because their methodology calls for individual topics in specific contexts to produce a read that is customized to various buyer personas. In other words, the right people with specific needs find content through organic search that hits all their pain points. When it comes down to how to optimize content, using the pillar cluster model is ideal because when your link your cluster to your pillar page (primary service / product page) you send huge authority signals to the bots. Furthermore, if you are successful in making an emotional connection with your reader and they click through to your pillar page, signals are sent to Google through page session duration, bounce rate, and other metrics that reveal a positive user experience. Now your content monster is up and running full of vibrancy and humanized life.
How to Optimize Content that Translates into Revenue
Money talks, and once Dr. Frankenstein’s monster was up and running engaging with others, the walking corpse was able to string a few words together thus amping up the humanity factor. At the end of the day you are trying to make money and grow your business. That said, high organic ranking only pays off if it translates into revenue. The best content marketing agencies incorporate the inbound methodology into high-level strategies. These are customized blueprints that take keywords, buyer personas, and several SEO considerations to write various types of content designed for specific readers at precise moments in the buyer’s journey. Marketing automation platforms create workflows that gather information about your contacts who engage content and keep them actively involved with your brand through an automated process that nurtures each potential client. This saves you time, money, and it helps you weed out the looky loos while focusing on those most likely to convert to delighted buyers.
Using the right keyword strategy and pillar content cluster model will award you higher organic ranking; incorporating the inbound methodology with a marketing automation solution will bridge the right content to the highest buyer cohorts most likely to increase revenue. Once you have such a strategy all buttoned up and ready to run, your content will embody the semblance of Frankenstein’s monster as it delights humans, stimulates search bots, and sets your revenue on beast mode.
Did this Article Spark Life into Your Content Ideas?
If you found value in this content we invite you to download our FREE guide below on inbound marketing–the key component to tracking revenue from content. Got questions? Give us a call and let’s talk about ways to make your content alive!